Sunday, September 27, 2009

Upcoming Service


Today I was in my office talking with John, a fellow co-laborer, in missions. He and I spoke about how amazing it is to see God's Kingdom expanding around the world. John is excited about something that gets overlooked by many in the church. He got me excited. I thought that if we could see things the way he does then many of the problems we face would go away. He wants others to see what he has seen. The slums of Kenya. Sounds incredible, kind of. The thought has little appeal to most of us because we don't see how God works. I mean, God does not work the way we do. He seems to work opposite to us. I think my couch at home is many times my main goal in life so that I can be comfortable. God does not want me to always be comfortable. John Piper tells of two women who were missionaries. They had served the church for years. They were older and had given the best years of their life to the missions field. One day they were driving a car when they had a terrible accident. They drove off a cliff. They both died. Many could not understand how to explain this tragedy. Piper on the other hand had a different perspective. Maybe he saw it the way God sees things, Piper said that he believed that the only real tragedy in life was a life not lived for the Lord. My friend John sees how amazing God works in the lives of those who serves. One of his great hopes is that he can be a catalyst for others to be blessed through service. Get involved in service and maybe we will see what he sees. The slums are waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment